Montego Bay Motel and Ocean Chalets
Montego Bay Motel and Ocean Chalets → ?
Montego Bay Motel and Ocean Chalets, Coral Gardens
- Opened June 1954 with huge swimming pool. It had 100 acres of land and a mile-long sea beach. The motel was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Batley, who made his fortune as the largest manufacturer of portable buildings in England.
- Ads ran regularly in the Gleaner through August 1955. They were also regular in the West Indian Review.
- In January 1955, Mr. Derek Batley, son of the owners, moves to Jamaica. Five chalets are being constructed on their sea-beach. By next winter he hopes to have 50 structures finished, besides a bar and restaurant. He has further plans for another swimming pool, tennis courts, facilities for other outdoor sports, and indoor games. Plus bringing top-flight performers from abroad.
- In October 1955, land across the highway was sold to be part of the "Coral Gardens" 700-lot subdivision.
- In May 1956 the motel was sold to Mr. Harry Randall, Kingston lawyer, on behalf of a local syndicate of investors.
- Rest not known. One of the chalets could be Triplets on the Bay. Others could be to the right.
- This could have become the Montego Court + Driftwood Cottages. Dates fit together.