South Camp Road Hotel → South Camp Hotel → torn down, now Central Sorting Office
Kingston: New Kingston and South
South Camp Road Hotel, 68 S. Camp Road at the corner with Norman Road, Kingston. Formerly known as Emma Ville.
- In 1901 the residence of the late Ralph Nunes and 14 acres was listed for sale. It became the residence of Isaac Brandon.
- The hotel opened on October 1, 1907. It housed 48 guests and featured a cocktail bar, fresh water swimming pool, card games and archery for experts and amateurs.
- It closed in 1957, though it must not have been for long, as they advertised in the November 1958 Key to Jamaica.
- Auctioned off as a going concern in May 1959 for £50,000 to Patrick W. Chung. He told the Gleaner he intends to continue the hotel. He plans for extensive revamping and modernizing of the building and its amenities. Among the changes he listed were a new front to the hotel main building facing South Camp Road, provision of an air-conditioned Cantonese dining room, and a teenager club and dance floor by the hotel swimming pool, at which no strong drink will be sold. He also outlined plans for construction of a multi-story apartment building for middle-income people on the site of the hotel annex at 12-1/2 South Camp Road. (In 2021 that address was Richard Chong's Lotto retailer.)
- In November 1959, the Golden Scissors barbershop, which had been located at the South Camp Hotel, moved to the Mount Royal Hotel.
- In November 1962, the new manager Bama Nunes, late of the Flamingo, was looking forward to an energetic face lift.
- On November 2, 1963, it was announced that the government will acquire the hotel at a cost of £75,000 to accommodate the new headquarters of the General Post Office. It is now the Central Sorting Office.